My Blog List

Sunday 25 March 2012

Sad Day for the CMFL

BELPER UNITED 0 PINXTON FC 1

Football took second place today, as when I got home, I received a phone call to tell me that CMFL Referee's Chairman Roger Evans had collapsed and passed away after Refereeing the South Normanton Reserves match. I had known Roger for getting on for ten years and whilst I was on the CMFL Committee, he had invited me to the CMFL Referees Meetings over the years. Always a kind word to say and time to have a chat with everyone. RIP Roger.

We visited Belper United for the first time, as they may well be moving soon, it was a bit of a devil to find, as the postcode was found on the sat-nav.we then found the ground and I got a programme and then went and had a chat with ref Tim Walker and his assistants Robin Bourne and Chris Haywood before the teams came out.

The First Half playing down the slope, Belper created a few good chances and should have gone in at half time at least a goal to the good, but the second half was a different story with Pinxton carving out the better chances but chance after chance went a begging until the 87th Minute, when from a corner, the ball was palmed on to the crossbar and a Pinxton player following up bungled the ball over the line to claim the three points.

In the pub afterwards, I had a drink with the 3 officials and for some reason unknown, I always tend to call Robin Bourne, Roger and he always corrects me and we smile about it, today we wasnt aware of what had sadly happened just a few miles away..Mine and Hazel's thoughts are with Rogers family at this sad time of loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment