My Blog List

Saturday 23 July 2011

The Friendly Welfares

CLIPSTONE WELFARE 1 GEDLING MINERS WELFARE 0


Got up this morning with the intention of going to Kirkby Town v Askern Villa this afternoon, but when I switched on to my facebook account, there was a kind message from the Kirkby Secretary Mrs Michelle Thorpe letting me know that their match had been called off due to Askern being unable to field a side, so  I looked on my blog and saw the above fixture and rang Les Graham to see if this game was on and found it to be. With Hazel being up at her daughter's in Preston, David had aid he would have Shawn for me, so the usual 10 minute journey in Hazel's car took 2 buses and nearly 2 hours to Clipstone. On arrival, Les Graham greeted me with a cup of coffee and told me I hadnt to pay to come in, so the £3 entry has gone in to the Charity total.

It was then good to meet up with old faces that I've not seen for a long time and have a chat from Gedling Miners Welfare FC, Norman and Tony Hay and many more who I know the faces to but can never remember the names of,.but always a friendly group.

I then went and sat near to the corner flag side of the ground for the First Half of the game and both sides came out with new squads, Clipstone with their newly appointed Manager Cas, who has bought in some of the old Forest Town side and kept a mixture of players from Clipstone from last season and Gedling had a young looking side, who's average age looked around the 20 years mark.

The game started at a bright pace and Gedling seemed to look lively down the right wing, but Clipstone also had some good chances and at times the young 17 year old keeper in the Gedling net had to be called on and did a terrific job, he looks a good lad for the future. Eventually with everyone thinking shall I go for my half time cuppa, Clipstone broke forward and Carter scuffed a shot which most in the ground though had gone wide, but it had nestled in the back of the net, though Carter reckons after the match it was a clean hit lol 

The second half was a bit of cat and mouse with Gedling pressing forward and looking more likely to score, but on the other hand Clipstone breaking and making their opponents clear off the line and also wasting a few good chances. The match finished at 1-0 but was a good run out for both sides and then Mr Clipstone Barry Clarke gave me a lift home.many thanks Barry.


No comments:

Post a Comment